We are in the middle of lessons on 7 Realities, specifically about God Revealing Himself, His Purposes and His Ways.
I want to share an idea that I think God has been revealing. I’ve had trouble putting my finger on it and nailing it down, but there just seemed like there is something more that God is leading us to.
Direct our attention back to our Vision Statement:
Our vision is to be Jesus’ family that is united by God’s love and is passionately and prayerfully seeking to Know, Serve and Share Him.
It’s the Family part that I think God is calling to our attention. What do each of these passages tell us about the Church has a family?
1 Timothy 3:15
John 3:3-9 and Romans 8:15
Why would God have set up the Church the way He did and capitalize on this imagery of a Family?
- Because it was by far the most important group in the New Testament times. So when Jesus and later on Paul started referring to Jesus’ disciples as family, people would begin to understand the impact that Christ should have on their lives.
- Their understanding of the Household or Family existed on two fronts:
- Family led by the paterfamilias
- Household that included the family, slaves, employees and other patron/client relationships.
- Our understanding of Family is a little different:
- Family reunions
- Thanksgiving dinner
- Kitchen table
What’s an easy way to KNOW that we’re living out our call to be God’s Family? We’re sharing the “One Another’s” of the New Testament.
We do Family Reunion very well. We do Thanksgiving dinner very well. But it’s the kitchen table that I think God is calling us to do more effectively. I think this is where God has been at work this past year.
Thanks so much to the Bradenton Towing Company for sponsoring my blog!